Please read carefully
Last Modified: January 26, 2023
The “Drive with Safety” Telematic Mobile Application (the “Application”) and related telematic services (collectively, the “Services”) are made available for your use by Safety Insurance Group, Inc., and its insurance company subsidiaries, Safety Insurance Company, Safety Indemnity Insurance Company, Safety Property and Casualty Insurance Company and Safety Northeast Insurance Company (collectively, “Safety Insurance” or “we”, “us” and “our”). We partnered with Cambridge Mobile Telematics (“CMT”) in order to provide you with the Services.
Safety Insurance respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy. This policy describes:
- The types of information we may collect or that you may provide when you download, install, access, or use the Services.
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
II. Information Collected
Safety Insurance through CMT collects the following information from and about users of the Service.
User Authentication & Registration. This includes your first and last name, email address, telephone number, and username and password. This may also include the name and telephone number of any family members that you invite to the “Family” feature of the Application.
Driving Data. This includes information such as such as vehicle speed and location using GPS, time information and data from the phone’s sensors such as magnetometer, gyroscope, barometer (if available), and accelerometer. Other information such as trip duration, rates of acceleration and braking, and trip classification, are derived from the speed, location, and time information.
Mobile Phone Information. This includes Wi-Fi status, whether your screen is locked or unlocked, whether a phone call is in progress (and whether it is handheld or hands-free), if you are otherwise using your phone, motion activity and activity recognition, whether the phone is connected to a Bluetooth® device, and whether music is being played.
Application Analytics Information. This includes how often you use the Application, aggregated Application usage data, Application performance data and other Application activity.
III. Sources of Collection
We collect your information, in the following ways, pursuant to applicable law:
- Directly from you when you register to use the Application.
- Automatically when you use the Application, including through technology built into your mobile device, or supplied by a third party.
- From other sources, including data analytics providers or publicly available sources.
If you give us the information of another person, such as your family member, we assume you have their permission to share their information with us.
IV. How We Use Your Information
In connection with the Services, Safety Insurance may use your information for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving the Services. To provide the Services and its content including to calculate your driving score and provide you with reports on your driving behavior (if you are a Safety Insurance policyholder, you will be able to review reports on your driving habits produced from information we receive from the Application by logging into the My Account page); to maintain and improve the Services; to develop new features or services; to authenticate users; to understand and measure driver and vehicle behavior; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; and for other customer support purposes.
- Communications. To communicate with you about your use of Services and provide you with notices about the Services, including when the Application updates are available and to respond to your inquiries, complaints, and questions.
- Research and Analytics. To analyze how you interact with the Services; to understand and analyze driver and vehicle behavior; and for other research, analytical and statistical purposes.
- Legal Compliance. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government authority.
V. How We Disclose Your Information
Safety Insurance may disclose all categories of information described above to the following parties for the purposes identified within this policy, and as required or permitted by law. For example, your information may be disclosed as follows.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your information to our third-party vendors, service providers, agents, or others who perform functions on our behalf and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep Information confidential and to use it only for the purposes for which it is disclosed to them.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose your information to another entity in connection with, including during negotiation of, an acquisition or merger, sale or transfer of a business unit or assets, bankruptcy proceeding, or as part of any other similar business transfer.
- Purposes Provided or Disclosed. We may disclose information to fulfill the purposes for which it is provided. For example, if you provide enrollment information to invite others into the “Family” feature of the Application, we may use that information to send an invite. We may disclose your Information for any other purpose disclosed by us when you agreed to download and use the Application.
- Legal Compliance. We may disclose your Information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government official.
- Consent. We may disclose your information with your consent to the extent we request your consent, and our disclosure will only be to the extent of the consent.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for research, compliance, marketing, advertising, or other purposes.
A special note about the “Families” Feature of the Application: Operators in the Application may be organized into Families. Members of a Family can see each other’s locations, trips, and driving scores.
The security of your information is important to Safety Insurance. We have implemented and maintain a comprehensive information security program that contains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to secure your information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or you have chosen) a username and password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping that information confidential. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your account by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and keeping your login information private. You should notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted through the Services. Any transmission of Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Services.
VII. Data Retention
We will retain your information only for as long as it is necessary to fulfill the above-mentioned purposes, or as required to comply with applicable legal requirements.
VIII. Third Party Analytics
IX. Third Party Links
X. Children Under the Age of 13
The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Services. We do not knowingly collect Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on or through the Services. If a child under 13 submits personal information to Safety Insurance and we learn that the information is from a child under 13, we will attempt to delete the information as soon as possible.
XII. How to Contact Us
If you have questions about our privacy practices, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-951-6429.
Safety insurance Company
20 Custom House Street
Boston, MA 02110