Last Modified: August 5, 2021
I. Protecting Your Privacy
The Safety Insurance website, www.safetyinsurance.com (the “Safety Insurance site”), the Safety Mobile application and the related software and online and/or mobile services provided on or in connection with the same, including the My Account platform (collectively, the “Services”) are made available for your use by Safety Insurance Group, Inc., and its insurance company subsidiaries, Safety Insurance Company, Safety Indemnity Insurance Company, Safety Property and Casualty Insurance Company and Safety Northeast Insurance Company (collectively, “Safety Insurance”).
Privacy is of utmost importance to us and Safety Insurance is committed to protecting the privacy of your Personal Information. As used in this policy, “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you. It does not include aggregated or de-identified information that is maintained in a form that is not capable of being associated with or reasonably linked to you.
Safety Insurance limits access to your Personal Information to those persons who have a need to know it to perform their jobs and to provide services to you, and as required or permitted by law. We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized use or disclosure. We do not disclose any Personal Information about you to any affiliated or non-affiliated third party other than those permitted by law.
II. Information We Collect
Safety Insurance collects information about you directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of the Services. We collect and use information that we receive from your insurance application and through correspondence and communications from you; information about your transactions with us; information that you provide to us through the Services, including if you create an account on My Account; information from independent insurance agents; information we receive from consumer reporting agencies; information regarding your use of the Services (including, but not limited to, domain name, browser type, device ID, operating system type, pages or screens you view, links you click, internet protocol (IP) address, when and how long you use the Services, and the webpage that led you to the Services); information from government agencies and insurance-support organizations; information related to insurance claims, which may include medical information; information from other third parties, as permitted law; and information that is publicly available from social media and other sources. This information enables us to underwrite policies, process claims, ensure proper billing, service customer accounts and develop our products. We also collect and use Personal Information from insurance agents who may use our protected and secure internet-based portal to make changes to policies, make payments and inquire about the status of customer accounts.
III. How We Use Your Information
Safety Insurance may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving the Services. To provide the Services, including to handle your claims, to maintain and improve the Services; to develop new features or services; to authenticate users; to facilitate payments; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; and for other customer support purposes.
- Tailoring Content. To tailor the content and information we may send or display to you, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Services.
- Marketing and Communications. To communicate with you about your account and use of our Services; to respond to your inquiries; to provide you with news and newsletters, special offers, promotions, and other information we think may interest you; and for other informational, marketing, or promotional purposes. Our communications with you may include communications via email or text message.
- Research and Analytics. To analyze how you interact with the Services; to monitor and analyze individual and collective usage trends; and for other research, analytical and statistical purposes.
- Legal Compliance. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government authority.
IV. How We Disclose Your Information
Safety Insurance discloses Personal Information that we collect only as required or permitted by law.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your Personal Information to our third party vendors, service providers, agents, or others who perform functions on our behalf. For example, we use a third party vendor to help process payments.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose your Personal Information to another entity in connection with, including during negotiation of, an acquisition or merger, sale or transfer of a business unit or assets, bankruptcy proceeding, or as part of any other similar business transfer.
- Legal Compliance. We may disclose your Personal Information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government official.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for research, compliance, marketing, advertising, or other purposes.
The security of your Personal Information is important to Safety Insurance. We have implemented and maintain a comprehensive information security program that contains administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We use security measures consistent with industry standards, such as firewalls and encryption technology, as we determine to be appropriate to protect your Personal Information.
The safety of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or you have chosen) a login and password for access to certain parts of our Services, you are responsible for keeping that information confidential. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your account by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and keeping your login information private.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted through the Services. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Services.
VI. Cookies, Web Beacons and Third Party Analytics
- Web Beacons. Safety Insurance also uses “web beacons” (also known as “clear gifs”, “pixel tags” and “single-pixel gifs”) in the Services and our emails. Web beacons are small electronic files that allow us to track the activities of users of our Services and help us manage content and compile statistics on the usage of our Services, such as the number of users who have visited pages on the Safety Insurance site or who have opened an email.
VII. Children Under the Age of 13
The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Services. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on or through the Services.
IX. How to Contact Us
Safety insurance Company
20 Custom House Street Boston, MA 02110