Whether we spring forward or fall back, Daylight Saving Time is an excellent semi-annual reminder to take care of maintenance tasks around your home.
As we prepare to spring ahead and as our schedules get adjusted accordingly, there are safety precautions that can be taken to help keep you and your property safe as you make the most of the longer days and warmer weather so the only thing you need to worry about this spring and summer is soaking up some sun.
- Did somebody say spring cleaning? Take advantage of the extra hour of daylight and get your home in tip-top shape. Not sure which areas to focus on? Try these:
- Your fridge needs a thorough cleaning twice a year to run efficiently. Toss expired items, handwash drawers and shelves with dish soap, wipe down the interiors with vinegar, and defrost your freezer.
- Go through pantry items. If your canned goods are not expired but you know you don’t need that fourth can of kidney beans anyway, you can donate to your local food pantry to do good while also reducing in-home clutter.
- Clean your dryer exhaust twice a year. Take the hoses outside with a vacuum and blow dryer and see which one works best to force all the built-up lint out.
- Purge your closet. That sweater you’ve been “saving for next year” could really help someone less fortunate.
- Heating and air conditioning filters
- Vacuum cleaners
- Refrigerator water filters
- Dishwasher filters
- Air purifiers and humidifiers
- Kitchen filters in your range hood, cook top, and microwave
- Drain your water heater according to manufacturer instructions to flush out unwanted sediment buildup
- Check your roof for signs of damaged or missing shingles/tiles
- Clean and inspect your gutters and downspouts
- Inspect your home’s exterior pant and refinish if necessary
- Take a look at your concrete, pavers, asphalt, steps, and driveways to see if repairs are needed
- Review your emergency response plan, refresh procedure and supplies as needed
Our homeowners insurance policies in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine, offer a broad selection of coverage including coverage for losses to your home and its contents from numerous perils, and coverage for liability to others arising from ownership or occupancy of your home. Enhanced coverage is available in each market, please see individual state pages linked above for more details. Additionally, we offer competitive rates, including discounts for being loss free and a discount of 20% if you insure your automobile with us.
By following these key steps and maintaining proper insurance coverage, you can leverage Daylight Saving Time to your advantage to make the best of the warm weather and longer days.
If you have any coverage questions, please contact your Independent Agent and they will be happy to answer any questions. Safety Insurance helps you manage life’s storms both online and in person.